School is almost out, so parents, now is the time to start planning your summer family outings. Window Seat or Aisle Seat columnist Kerri Zane put together this summer’s top 20 family activities. And the best part, many of the venues are offering exclusive deals for Peter Greenberg Worldwide readers.
If you’re a mom like me, you are already in high gear anticipating the long lazy days of summer. Sleep-away camps are a great option for many, but not possible for every family, which leaves plenty of empty daylight hours to fill. With my daughters, I find that two to three getaways are the perfect solution to keep little bodies busy and brains fully occupied.
With all that in mind, I went looking for family activities across the country that are fun, local and inexpensive. I put together a top 20 getaway list for summer 2012.
1. Erth’s Dinosaur Petting Zoo is coming to New Haven, Connecticut. On Saturday, June 16 and Sunday, June 17, from 3 pm to 5 pm your children can pet a dino. The artists of Australian theater and visual arts company ERTH have created awesome prehistoric creatures, from cute baby dinos to teeth-gnashing giants. These life-like dinosaurs come alive in an eye-popping, interactive performance and you and your children will have the opportunity to pet and play with them. Dare you get too close?
2. Bonnaroo music festival is held just outside of Nashville this year from June 7-10. For families, there is a special Kidz Jam section and a family camping area.
3. A visit to Mackinac Island in northern Michigan is the perfect 2-3 day destination. With no cars on the islands, it’s like taking a trip back in time. Families and kids get around either by foot, bike, or horse carriage. Mission Point Resort, which is the largest family friendly resort on the island, has one of the most unique miniature golf courses found anywhere. The “Greens of Mackinac” is an 18-hole putting course located right on the shores of Lake Huron.
Mission Point is offering the Mission Point Ultimate Family Package for PGW readers which includes accommodations, round-trip ferry tickets, breakfast each morning at Round Island Bar & Grill, a dinner at Round Island Bar & Grill, a lunch or dinner at Bistro on The Greens, a kid friendly in-room amenity, 2-hour bicycle rental, the Mission Point Observations Tower experience, golf at The Greens of Mackinac, and tickets to the Mackinac Island Butterfly Museum. The deal starts at $315 per night.
4. For a sweet treat take a tour of the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield California. It’s a free tour and a chance to taste all 150 flavors that take more than a week to create!
5. If you want to park your family at a fine resort, where you never have to leave, visit KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort. Located just outside of Chicago, IL, it was recognized by Aquatics International with the “Best of Aquatics” award in 2011.
Use Promo code: Greenberg from May 15 through July 31, 2012 and you will receive an additional 15 percent off the best rate available. For more information or to book your weekend go to their website.
And watch for our “Window or Aisle” 2-night stay KeyLime Cove giveaway on PeterGreenberg.com this month!!!