This week in the BE YOUR OWN TRAVEL DETECTIVE contest, we asked you to share a money saving tip. We were proud to see that PeterGreenberg.com readers, don’t just look for what’s cheap, but know how to find value when they travel.
One of the most common answers recommended staying informed. Monitor prices and rates so you understand when a deal is offered that you can pounce on.
A few shoutouts to some notable entries before this week’s winner.
- Maureen Sloan offered a tech-savvy solution, “Try to use a new computer tablet or phone – no history and don’t check back- compare fares on other computers under different email addresses and book the first time after the initial inquiry on the new PC, laptop or tablet.”
- Bill Munley shared this crucial piece of common sense, “Best of all understand what you are buying and if the price is right for you then go for it…
- Christopher Klesh offered this creative solution when it comes to hotels, “Also forget hotels. Rent luxury timeshares from owners. Marriott, Hilton, Westin, Disney etc. Rent from owner at MyResortNetwork.com or Redweek.com.. Why not get triple the space, all luxury amenities, et. for less than the price of a hotel room.”
- David Holman understands the importance of a good travel agent, “Find a GOOD TRAVEL AGENT. And be loyal to them. They in turn will hook you up with deals and give you all the information you need to REALLY save money.”
These were great tips, but STANLEY KEIZER has won The Travel Detective of the week with his 8-step plan:
1. Book them as a package.
2. Fly to an airport close to your destination, not the major airport, then take a train or bus to your destination.
3 Try to get last-minute deals on hotels from Priceline or Hotwire. Even better, swap staying at your home with someone from the country you’re visiting.
4. Ask for an upgrade at your hotel. Many time the upgrade will be free, so you’d be getting a better room at no extra charge.
5. Renting a furnished apartment could be cheaper than staying in a hotel. You can cook your own meals, too, saving more money.
6. Lunch special’s at expensive restaurants is much cheaper that at dinner.
7. When traveling to 2 cities, got to the furthest first, then 2nd city, then home.
8. Convert your money to the foreign one while a home.
And shout out to Linda C with our favorite tweet on #TravelDetective:
Stanley is the honorary Travel Detective of the week. He’s now eligible to win a NCL cruise along with the following prizes.
- The Grand Prize is a 7-day, Caribbean cruise for two from Norwegian Cruise Line on Norwegian Getaway, Miami’s newest ship.
- First Prize will win a $150 American Express gift card from InsureMyTrip
- Second Prize will win a $50 American Express gift card from InsureMyTrip
Click here to answer the last challenge and Tweet to Enter! In addition to answering our challenge questions, you can also enter to win by tweeting your travel tips using the hashtag #TravelDetective. Remember to follow @TravDetective on Twitter and on Facebook.