Dishes in Mexico City are bold, vibrant and seductive. Stroll the tree-lined streets of Polanco, dotted with lively outdoor cafes, produce stands, and trendy boutiques, or venture into the city’s beating heart: the market.
Culinary traveler Jordan Whitley sat down with Chef Alejandro Fuentes of Au Pied de Cochon in ritzy Polanco’s Presidente Intercontinental to get the foodie’s guide to do-it-yourself market shopping and traditional Mexico City cuisine.
American yacht chef Mary Beth Lawton Johnston was also on hand to give us her take on finding fresh seafood, and what it’s like being a tourist in search of sustenance.
From San Juan Mercado for seafood to La Nueva Viga for produce to Ciudadela for artisan crafts, there’s no better way to get gleefully down and dirty with the locals.
Salivating over those green peppers and cactus yet? Put your desires to good use with Chef Fuentes’ recipe for traditioal chilaquiles. Good news: it’s a breakfast, lunch or dinner side dish.
Chilaquiles with scrambled eggs and black beans? Yes, please.
CHEF ALEJANDRO FUENTES CHILAQUILES (serves 3-4)
- 1 lbs green tomatoes, or tomatillos with husks removed
- 1 chopped red onion onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 serrano pepper (or jalepeno de-stemmed and seeds removed)
- Bring tomatoes, pepper and garlic in one inch of water to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until tomatoes change color.
- Spoon tomatoes pepper and garlic into blender. Add 1 cup of the liquid from pot and puree.
- Fry 12 blue or yellow corn tortillas (the staler the better) in corn oil, then lightly bathe in salsa verde.
- Garnish with cilantro, cotija cheese and espazote
By Jordan Whitley for PeterGreenberg.com.
Related links on PeterGreenberg.com:
- Culinary Q&A: Bahamas Chef Describes Islands’ Cuisine, Offers Recipes
- Oprah’s Former Personal Chef Art Smith Dishes Up Recipes, Art and Soul
- The Truly Local Restaurants Of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo
- Caribbean Travel Beyond the Beaches: Food & Markets Of Curacao
- Culinary Adventures: Jamaica’s Roadside Food (With Recipes!)