Pack an extra present this Christmas season. This year, hotels across the country are running Toys for Tots drives. It’s the 66th year of the United States Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots program, which is dedicated to delivering new toys to less- fortunate children during the holiday season. Keep reading to see where you can take part in the program and check out our archive of voluntourism opportunities you can take part in around the world all year long.
For fifth year in a row, WCG Hotels–a hotel management company that operates the Embassy Suites and Marriott hotels across the country–is running a Toys for Tots drive until December 15. WCG Hotels is now offering a Donate Toys for Tots special. In addition to being a toy drop-off point, guests can book a rate that includes a minimum $1 donation. The hotels will then match every dollar donated.
But that’s just one option. Here are a few local spots to check out. You don’t need to spend the night to drop off a toy.
- Several hotels in Washington, D.C., including members of the Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Hampton Inn and Courtyard brands are accepting donations. Come hungry at the Holiday Inn Dulles Airport and the Crowne Plaza Tysons Corner, where you will receive a free appetizer with donations. Click here for specifics.
- At downtown Disney in Disneyland Resort, you can drop off a new toys at all three Disneyland Resort Hotels and 16 downtown stores and restaurants from now until December 14. On that day, you can greet U.S. Marine Corps Reserves, Anaheim Firefighters and Disney VoluntEARS, as they collect toys at the Downtown Disney Main Stage. More info here.
- In Cape May, New Jersey, the Marquis de Lafayette is the official drop off point for toys for tots. Plus, when you bring us a new unwrapped toy, the hotel will honor an additional 10 percent discount on your stay.
- This Saturday, the Andaz Napa California is throwing a Toys for Tots drive with live music and seasonal treats while giving back to the community at our Toys for Tots drive. Plus, enjoy a free glass of Glühwein (German Mulled Wine) if you’re of age.
- Drop off toys all season long at the Long Bay Resort and the hotel BLUE in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
- In San Diego, Sunland RV resorts are running multiple Toys for Toys drives. Click here to see all the locations.
By Lily J. Kosner for PeterGreenberg.com