This Weekend Peter Greenberg Worldwide broadcast from Radisson Blu Mall of America. On the air, you probably heard Peter talk with Paul Lynch, executive chef of the FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar. Lynch is celebrating spring with asparagus soup. Follow along at home with his recipe.
- 2 ounces butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bunch leeks — washed, and sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds asparagus stems
- 1/2 gallon chicken stock
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes — peeled and diced
- 2 tbl fresh thyme
- 1 each Bay leaf
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- Salt & Black pepper to taste
- Use half the butter and the flour to make a roux
- Use the other half of the butter to sweat the leeks.
- Make a sachet of the thyme and bay leaves.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except the parsley
- Cook for 20 minutes, remove sachet and puree.
- Add the parsley, and puree again
- Put through a chinios, cool properly–Can be made upto 2 days in advance to this point.
- Put back on stove season with salt and pepper, adjust consistency when ready to serve.
If you would like a cream soup, add 2 cups heavy cream when reheating.
By Paul Lynch for PeterGreenberg.com